About the Company
With a history going back over 130 years, PVH has excelled at growing brands and businesses with rich American heritages, becoming one of the largest global apparel companies. We have over 30,000 associates operating in over 40 countries with over $8 billion in revenues. We own the iconic Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, IZOD, ARROW, Speedo*, Warner’s and Olga brands and market a variety of goods under these and other nationally and internationally known owned and licensed brands.
PVH Europe is home to the global headquarters of Tommy Hilfiger and the European offices of Calvin Klein. The company is founded on a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that’s fueled by passion, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Tommy Hilfiger is one of the world’s leading designer lifestyle brands, internationally recognized for celebrating the essence of “classic American cool” style. Founded in 1985, Tommy Hilfiger delivers premium styling, quality and value to consumers worldwide with a breadth of collections including Hilfiger Collection, Tommy Hilfiger Tailored, men’s, women’s and kids’ sportswear, Tommy Hilfiger Denim, accessories, and footwear. In addition, the brand is licensed for a range of products, including fragrances, eyewear, watches and home furnishings. Tommy Hilfiger, which was acquired by PVH Corp. in 2010, has more than 17,000 associates worldwide and an extensive distribution network in over 115 countries and 1,600 retail stores. Global retail sales of the Tommy Hilfiger brand were US $6.5 billion in 2015.
Calvin Klein is a global lifestyle brand that exemplifies bold, progressive ideals and a seductive, and often minimal, aesthetic. We seek to thrill and inspire our audience while using provocative imagery and striking designs to ignite the senses.
Founded in 1968 by Calvin Klein and his business partner Barry Schwartz, we have built our reputation as a leader in American fashion through our clean aesthetic and innovative designs. Global retail sales of Calvin Klein products exceed $8 billion in 2015 and were distributed in [over] 110 countries. Calvin Klein employs over 10,000 associates globally. In 2003, we were acquired by PVH Corp., one of the largest apparel companies in the world.
*The Speedo brand is licensed for North America and the Caribbean in perpetuity from Speedo International Limited.
Department Information and Position Description
The Area Manager’s primary function is to manage all store management and staff personnel in our department store shop-in-shops, product and merchandising functions, business processes and results for his/her stores. The Area Manager has overall responsibility for profitable revenue growth, stock, margin, loss prevention, payroll, staff development whilst ensuring total customer satisfaction. To implement a strategic vision for the business and inspire and motivate the management teams to exceed targeted financial and customer expectations. The Area Manager directs and motivates the store teams to provide unparalleled, spirited service to all customers, generate sales and profit, minimize losses and ensure the store is visually distinctive and impeccably maintained.
The Area Manager’s goal is to maximize employees productivity, ensure compliance and consistent execution of company Policy & Procedures and established Best Practices, and create an environment which is customer and results-driven. The Area Manager trains and develops the store management teams. The Area Manager develops strong relationships within the department store environment.
Delivering Business Results:
- Articulate Corporate mission and business goals within the stores. Support corporate expectations and systems. Follow up to ensure proper execution of company initiatives and provide feedback to Retail Director, as needed.
- Plan, develop and implement strategy for organisational development (covering particular areas relevant to the organisation's structure, market etc)
- Liaise with other functional/departmental managers so as to understand all necessary aspects of organisational development, and to ensure they are fully informed of organisational development objectives, purposes and achievements
- Partner with store management teams to build on business opportunities and achieve Company standards/goals: sales and wage budgets, sales per hour (SPH), units per transaction (UPT), conversion (hit) rate, wage and expense control, shrinkage, mystery shops, store audits and profitability.
- Execute and model Company Policies & Procedures and established Best Practices in Human Resources, Customer Service, Store Operations, Product Management, Loss Prevention, and Point of Sale.
- Respond to and communicate with Retail Director on all competitors, community information that could impact Company business.
- Identify opportunities to grow the business or improve performance. Collaborate with others to improve business performance.
- Seek and continuously develop knowledge and information about competitor activity, pricing and tactics, and communicate this to relevant departments in the Company.
- Ensure an excellent relationship between the company and the Department Store on all levels: Department manager/Sales Manager/Assistant Shop Manager/Shop Manager
Managing Customer Service:
- Focus stores on the importance of the quality of relationships with internal and external customers. Ensure accountability of staff in building a repeat customer base by providing all customers with unparalleled spirited service.
- Clearly communicate to store managers individual sales goals and other key performance expectations; sales results and provide guidance on what is needed to improve performance
- Clearly communicate to stores all marketing and sales promotions.
- Assess relevant training needs for staff individuals and organisation, in consultation with departmental heads, including assessment methods and measurement systems entailed. Stay informed as to relevant skill and qualifications levels required by staff for effective performance, and circulates requirements and relevant information to the organisation as appropriate. Use training tools provided by the company to ensure the highest CS standards are achieved and remain consistent.
- Ensure “door to floor” Best Practices and visual merchandising directives and standards for sales floor and back room are being executed; continually review standards to ensure clear and consistent execution.
- Work alongside the VM Team to ensure that not only PVH VM best practices are achieved but also that there is clear understanding and communication between the VM and store teams.
- Complete store walk-through’s; evaluate product performance, pricing, sell through, and inventory levels. Communicate to the Retail Director what is driving sales results and discuss any issues/priorities, in order to develop strategies to maximize business.
- Direct and monitor preparation and execution of store inventory counts and follow up on results. Also to ensure Store Management teams are fully aware of all procedures and are able to execute the stock count themselves.
- Communicate regularly with the Buying team to ensure the correct stock levels and demographically correct stock is available in their business
Managing Store Operations:
- Ensure daily management of sales, payroll, controllable expenses, goals and company initiatives. Align activities to ensure business goals are met.
- Analyze store level reports and create action plans to improve results.
- Effectively communicate with the Retail Director regarding day-to-day operational issues of the stores.
- Complete store audits to ensure stores are complying with all Company Policies and Procedures.
- Make sure daily morning meetings are held - individual sales goals, and other key performance indicators, store results, product sales and other information to help them provide unparalleled service and achieve goals
Managing Human Resources:
- Manage the manpower planning, identification, recruitment, interviewing, hiring and orientation processes; Recruit store management with a broad range of perspectives, experiences and backgrounds.
- Manage and motivate staff, recruit store managers, train and develop store management according to company policies and employment laws, and ensure relevant HR procedures are followed (appraisals, discipline, grievance, etc).
- Monitor staff retention and career development; communicate ideas to Retail Director and HR contact. Build bench strength for management positions, including possible successors.
- Direct the training and development of store management. Ensure that all Employees are properly oriented into the Company and trained in their role. Provide training and coaching for store managers (daily, weekly and monthly) and ensure that it is appropriately documented.
- Provide clear direction and follow-up while monitoring progress of store managers, to ensure timely and effective completion of assignments. Implement management division of responsibility.
- Ensure unsatisfactory performance and policy violations by store staff are addressed through the corrective action process and that appropriate documentation is completed.
- Regularly diagnose, develop and review the performance of store management; conduct bi annual performance reviews. Create and follow up on clear development goals for store managers.
- Maintain respect and work well with others.
- Communicate honestly, openly and constructively.
- Recognize and celebrate the contributions and achievements of others.
- Respect and value individual differences and use them productively to develop creative group solutions.
- Give feedback that promotes positive behavioral change.
- Resolve ongoing conflicts and unproductive disagreements.
- Create energy and excitement around shared goals and values.
- Act with integrity.
- Build team commitment.
- Encourage an atmosphere of open communication and interact effectively with others through listening, understanding, responding, constructive and honest feedback and consensus building.
- Contribute to an inclusive culture of diverse styles and talents working toward a clear purpose.
- Create an environment of trust and respect.
- Set high standards and reasonable expectations for others.
- Encourage others to take action in difficult circumstances.
- Successfully broaden others’ knowledge and teach new skills.
- Demonstrate flexibility and innovation in recognizing and reacting to the changing business environment.
- Take on additional assignments and work when needed.
- Make commitments and decisions on available information even under stressful and changing conditions.
- Maintain adaptability and a positive point of view in the face of change.
- Maintain alignment between people, processes and technology.
- Set challenging but obtainable goals with an emphasis on service quality, and customer satisfaction, as well as financial performance.
- Consistently meet or exceed objectives.
- Coordinate appropriate action plans while considering consequences and budget decisions.
- Organize people and tasks with sensitivity to time constraints and resource availability.
- Convey clear ideas and goals, manage the implementation of those ideas and manage measurable and achievable results.
- Maintain a sense of urgency.
Education and Professional Experience:
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible Area Managers experience in the retail industry. Extensive experience and ability to lead the delivery of a high level in Retail operations, budgeting, planning, customer service, sales and people leadership and management.
- Experience in Department Store environment required