About the Company
With a history going back over 130 years, PVH has excelled at growing brands and businesses with rich American heritages, becoming one of the largest global apparel companies. We have over 30,000 associates operating in over 40 countries with over $8 billion in revenues. We own the iconic Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, IZOD, ARROW, Speedo*, Warner’s and Olga brands and market a variety of goods under these and other nationally and internationally known owned and licensed brands.
PVH Europe is home to the global headquarters of Tommy Hilfiger and the European offices of Calvin Klein. The company is founded on a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that’s fueled by passion, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Tommy Hilfiger is one of the world’s leading designer lifestyle brands, internationally recognized for celebrating the essence of “classic American cool” style. Founded in 1985, Tommy Hilfiger delivers premium styling, quality and value to consumers worldwide with a breadth of collections including Hilfiger Collection, Tommy Hilfiger Tailored, men’s, women’s and kids’ sportswear, Tommy Hilfiger Denim, accessories, and footwear. In addition, the brand is licensed for a range of products, including fragrances, eyewear, watches and home furnishings. Tommy Hilfiger, which was acquired by PVH Corp. in 2010, has more than 17,000 associates worldwide and an extensive distribution network in over 115 countries and 1,600 retail stores. Global retail sales of the Tommy Hilfiger brand were US $6.5 billion in 2015.
Calvin Klein is a global lifestyle brand that exemplifies bold, progressive ideals and a seductive, and often minimal, aesthetic. We seek to thrill and inspire our audience while using provocative imagery and striking designs to ignite the senses.
Founded in 1968 by Calvin Klein and his business partner Barry Schwartz, we have built our reputation as a leader in American fashion through our clean aesthetic and innovative designs. Global retail sales of Calvin Klein products exceed $8 billion in 2015 and were distributed in [over] 110 countries. Calvin Klein employs over 10,000 associates globally. In 2003, we were acquired by PVH Corp., one of the largest apparel companies in the world.
The PVH Europe Legal Department is based in the PVH Europe headquarters in Amsterdam. The Legal Department consists mainly of two sub-teams: IP & Brand Protection and Corporate & Commercial. For brand protection the department acts as the first point of contact for Tommy Hilfiger worldwide and for Calvin Klein in Europe. Intellectual property matters relate to trademark infringements, trademark clearance and licensing and co-branding. The contractual and corporate matters relate to distribution, supply chain, real estate, retail and e-commerce, IT, compliance, privacy, M&A, anti-trust, marketing, promotions and licensing, all for the EMEA+ region.
Position Description and Requirements
The successful candidate will be joining an international, dynamic, fun and close-knit Legal team of 20 people under the leadership of the Vice President, Legal Affairs of PVH Europe. The Legal Counsel will report to the Legal Director Corporate & Commercial.
The Legal Counsel will be expected to:
- Give effective, business-oriented legal advice on all kind of contractual matters for a wide range of departments, divisions and offices of PVH Europe.
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements related to any aspect of our business – ranging from distribution and real estate to IT or supply chain.
- Work with the Legal team and business partners to draft, implement and update templates, guidelines, standard practices, policies and processes.
- Provide subject matter expertise and training on a broad range of legal matters.
- Proactively identify, assess, and manage legal risk, and offer practical, creative solutions to business partners of PVH Europe.
- Work closely with all departments and divisions of PVH Europe to support compliance, and to prevent and manage conflicts and claims.
- Oversee and coordinate the work of outside counsel to ensure that the handling and resolution of claims and litigations are consistent with PVH Corp. values and business practices.
- A master degree in (Dutch) law and 4-6 years of relevant working experience gained in (international) private practice and/or in an international business environment
- Extensive experience in drafting and negotiating (international) contracts
- Experience and interest in (M&A) transactions and/or IT law is a plus
- Proven ability to influence, effect, and manage change
- Excellent communication skills and advocacy (spoken and written)
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken, is required; Fluency in Dutch, both written and spoken, is strongly preferred. Competency in other European languages is desirable but not required
- Excellent organizational skills, eye for detail, structured and accurate
- Strong developed business sense
- Strong problem-solving ability
- Proactive, hands-on, flexible and self-starting
- Work hard, play hard mentality
- International mindset
- Team player